“Friends, Romans and countrymen”
May I call upon the attention of each of those who is a friend to someone else here.
It is to notify that the Friendship Day is around the corner, and you have just a few days to prepare for this day.
I am sure you are excited. Since this day is not only about giving and sharing joys and gifts but also a day when you can get gifts in return.
The best gift to get and give is a greeting card with friendship day quotes and wishes.
You can also quote good poems in your card that carry the essence of your thoughts in it.
When I first read the below two poems on friendship, I understood that true friendship stands above all relationships in the world.
You can use them as friendship day poem messages on cards.
I would share those words that struck the chord in me with you and I am sure, even if you haven’t read them before, they will surely mesmerise you.
“A song for lost friends” by Ruskin Bond.
“I haven’t seen you again, bright boy at the carriage window,
Waving to me, calling,
But I’ve loved you all these years and looked for you everywhere.”
Another beautiful poem is “The three sort of friends” by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. If you want to wish a “happy friendship day” to all your friends with this message, then you can do so.
“Though friendships differ endless in degree,
The sorts, methinks, may be reduced to three.
Ac quaintance many, and Con quaintance few;
But for In quaintance I know only two—
The friend I’ve mourned with, and the maid I woo!”
Let’s find out some interesting facts about Friendship Day in the next segment.
Interesting Facts about Friendship Day
Are you aware that Hallmark’s Joyce Hall was the person who first thought of celebrating 02nd August as a day dedicated to friends? She wanted that very day to be a holiday when people could take a holiday and enjoy it by gathering around with friends.
· Did you know that the first Friendship day was proposed by the “World Friendship Crusade” group on 30th July 1958? In response to this proposal the United Nations decided to declare 30th July as the International Friendship day.
· But, some countries of the world including India celebrate the first Sunday of August as the friendship day. This year Friendship day would be on 02nd August, 2020.
· Every country now has a different date for Friendship day celebration and only a few adhere to the date of 30th July. It includes Nepal, Spain, and a few other nations, but other than that, all other countries now celebrate on a date that they find right in some way or the other.
· Another interesting fact about Friendship day is that in the year 1998, UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan’s wife Nane Annan declared Winnie the Pooh as the brand ambassador of Friendship.
Gift Ideas for this Friendship Day
The world has moved past and no longer is part of the world where a simple greeting card could mean a lot.
In days before greeting cards, people simply did not know the language of gifts. A simple day out with a good friend was more than what they could ask for.
An occasional shirt, or a piece of cloth, a bicycle, a transistor and a watch were given out by friends to each other only on rare occasions. People simply could not afford it. But now is not that world.
So, in this world, let us find out what you can give your old-fashioned friendsto strengthen the friendship bond.
1) A wallet
2) A pen
3) A wrist watch
4) A good denim jackets
5) A pair of trouser
Now, what can you give to your young, modern friends to strengthen the friendship bond between two friends.
1) An iPad
2) A box of gadgets for their computers
3) A webcam
4) A one-year subscription to their favourite channels
5) A one-year unlimited talk time and data for their phones
6) A small handy robot
7) A drone
8) A vacation to an exotic location
9) A ticket for theatre or an activity of their choice.
10) Fast cash in any form of wallets
Share Feelings through Words This Friendship Day
Let us find out some very beautiful words from the olden days and also some very pretty, comforting words from the current days for you. Use these words, since words mean a lot for a true friend. In fact, it is only a true friend who can value your words like no other.
Apart from the gift, you can also scribble some beautiful yesteryears poetry for a message in a handmade card. Trust me, it is a brilliant idea even in today’s world. Real friends even today are deeply touched when you take the effort to show them your love.
So, let us find you some invaluable lines that can brighten your friend’s day on this Friendship Day.
1) “Alone” By Maya Angelou is a friendship day poem.
How to find my soul a home
Where water is not thirsty
And bread loaf is not stone
I came up with one thing
And I don’t believe I’m wrong
Can make it out here alone.”
2) The Arrow and the Song” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is a beautiful friendship day poem to tell your friend how much you love them.
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.
I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?
Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend.
3) “A Poison Tree” By William Blake is also a sweet poem on friendship.
I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
4) “A Time to talk” by Robert Frost is one of those poems that ends only to renew your friendship bond.
When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don’t stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven’t hoed,
And shout from where I am, ‘What is it?’
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.
5) “I knew a man by sight” by Henry David Thoreau is another small poem for your loving friend on this friendship day.
Late in a wilderness
I shared his mess,
For he had hardships seen,
And I a wanderer been;
He was my bosom friend, and I was his.
Now, tell me, does these lines seem mesmerising? I am sure they do.
If you have such a friend, do not shy away from sharing what you feel about them through some of these beautiful lines. Sometimes, it is better to express all of it to them instead of keeping it locked in your heart. Trust me, this is the best day when you can do so.
But yes, if you are not that expressive, talkative friend, simply hang out with your friends, take them out for a lunch or a dinner or do some activity together for this Friendship day. It could be anything, from playing basketball or volleyball by the beach to simply eyeing the sunset.
Make sure, you do something for someone less fortunate than you on this day together with your friends. This will help strengthen the friendship bond that you both possess
You can even begin new friendships on this Friendship day.
Do anything but make sure you celebrate it.