Microsoft Outlook is at the top of the food chain of email marketing applications. It simply is the best application because of the sheer number of features it offers. Users tend to overlook the problems when they see it is from a trusted software producer. But sometimes outlook does not work as intended and encounter a few errors. Today we will shed some light on one such outlook error and try to resolve it with ease.
Let’s Get Started
Outlook utilizes two file types namely OST and PST to store the inbox data locally. OST files are used to store data for offline use of the MS exchange server. OST files don’t need an internet connection to be opened and worked on. But sometimes you get the ‘OST file won’t open’ error due to several reasons such as corruption or updating.
OST File won’t Open in Outlook 2016
There are times when the OST file becomes inaccessible due to unexpected reasons, it is very important to resolve that.
Reasons for OST file won’t Open Error:
- If an update to the Outlook for improving features and removing bugs is not installed properly, the file will be rendered corrupted and won’t open.
- When a user upgrades from office 2013 to 2016, the sync gets effected and outlook fails to perform simple tasks like sending or receiving emails.
It becomes a necessity for users to resolve these errors to access the contents of the mailbox once again.
Resolution to the Problem
Upgradation to Outlook 2016 from 2013 – A user reported that after the upgrade to Outlook 2016 from 2013, the Outlook was unable to sync with the email exchange server. The program then lost the ability to perform basic functions like sending or receiving emails.
So, the user took steps to resolve the problem and deleted the existing profile to create a new one. This diagnostic step should have solved the problem and connected the Outlook with the mail exchange server. But it did nothing and the situation got more complicated than it was.
When you face this type of problem in your account, you must take these steps. First, you must check if there is a duplicate account, if so, set one of them to default. If not, then proceed with the resolution steps and create a new Profile for Outlook 2016.
Create a New Outlook Profile:
Account syncing error can be resolved by creating a new Outlook profile. Use the auto account setup option instead of manual for easy creation of the profile.
Take a close look at the steps
- Open Outlook 2016, navigate from File to Account Settings to Manage Profiles.
- Now, choose Show Profiles and then click on the Add option.
- Type a name for the profile you are creating and click on the OK button to proceed.
- Then click on the ‘Auto Account Setup’ instead of Manual and proceed.
Even after these steps, a few users aren’t able to resolve the issue. Instead, they get another display message of OST file cannot be opened in Windows 10 and Outlook 2016.
So, the best bet for this type of problem is the method listed next.
Use Shoviv OST to PST Converter:
In this method, you’ll rely on a third-party tool to extract the data present on the OST file and transfer it to an accessible PST file. PST files can be easily imported in Outlook and open the contents of the file. The steps listed below are based on the Shoviv OST to PST converter.
- First, download and install the Shoviv OST to PST converter on your system.
- Open the Tool and click on the Add OST file button in the ribbon bar.
- Now, browse for the OST file on your system, check the default OST file location and click on the OK button.
- Let the tool process your OST file and will show the content present on the file that includes emails, attachments calendars, etc.
- Now, select the file type and choose the ‘Save All files in Outlook PST’ option for that.
- Then, you can choose the things to recover by checking/unchecking files or folders.
- Then, you will see the export option for the PST file, choose as per your requirement (it is recommended that you select Export and Create a new PST file).
- After clicking on the Next button, the file will be saved to the designated location.
After completing these steps, you will have a new PST file ready which can be opened in Outlook pretty easily.
Shoviv OST to PST converter tool provides a better solution to access the contents of the OST file when you’ve exhausted all the options. The tool is user-friendly and easier to run and more reliable. A demo version of the software is also available to download that allows conversion of first 50 items per folder; the user can easily check the working of the software by this.
Problem Occurred during Outlook Update – If there was a problem with the outlook update and now the software seems lifeless, roll back the updates by going into the windows update section. Once, you’ve done that, the problem will be resolved and you can regain access to all the contents.
So, when you encounter an OST file error on your Outlook 2016, you should take the services of Shoviv OST to PST converter tool. That is because it is the best, easiest, fastest and smartest way to get access to OST file contents.